A healthy eating plan gives your body the nutrients it needs every day while keeping within its daily calorie goal to lose weight. A healthy eating plan will also reduce your risk of heart disease and other health conditions.
- mphasize vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and non-fat or low-fat dairy products
- Includes lean meats, chicken, fish, beans, eggs and nuts
- Limit saturated and trans fats, sodium and added sugars.
- Control portion sizes
To lose weight, most people need to reduce the amount of calories they get from food and beverages (IN energy) and increase their physical activity (OUT energy).
For a weight loss of 1 to 1 ½ pounds per week, the daily intake should be reduced from 500 to 750 calories. In general:
- Eating plans that contain between 1,200 and 1,500 calories per day will help most women lose weight safely.
- Feeding plans containing between 1,500 and 1,800 calories per day are suitable for men and for women who weigh more or exercise regularly.
You should not use very low calorie diets of less than 800 calories per day unless your doctor is monitoring you.